travelnews: NEW! **Travel Tips** Conference Hotels

BAO news for travel administrators travelnews at lists.uoregon.edu
Fri Aug 3 10:11:45 PDT 2012

Good Morning -

Introducing "Travel Tips",  a newsletter the Travel Office will publish every two weeks with quick and timely tips to help you in your travel duties.  Travel Tips will touch on topics like air travel, reimbursements,  IRS updates,  reminders and travel policy.  Feel free to send any questions or topics you would like to have addressed to Laurie Jacoby - lajacoby at uoregon.edu<mailto:lajacoby at uoregon.edu>

"My conference hotel is sold out - now what?"

Check to see if the conference offers overflow hotels.  If all conference negotiated room rates are sold out, ask for the next best pricing at those hotels including corporate or government rates.  If the hotels are completely full, travel policy says the IRS high/low hotel per diem rules apply.

Consider checking with one of our four contract travel agencies for alternate accommodations within per diem allowance.  Or consider an online hotel search using a website like Hotels.com, based on the address of the conference center for hotel options within per diem.    If an exception to lodging per diem is required, please check with the travel office prior to departure.  We can evaluate a number of cost factors to consider the exception:  Will the hotel require taxi fare to get to/from the conference?  Does the hotel offer breakfast so that a breakfast per diem can be eliminated?  What city is the conference being held? Are there other events happening in the city effecting hotel availability?  Please keep all reservation notes and print screenshots of your hotel searches showing  pricing to support the reservation.

**  For conference or overflow hotels, remember to include the conference pricing agreement information with your reimbursement documents.

For additional information please see the BAO Travel website to review Conferences/Meetings policy : http://ba.uoregon.edu/staff/travel-reimbursement#ConferencesMeetings   and for additional information on our lodging policy:  http://ba.uoregon.edu/staff/travel-reimbursement#Lodging

Laurie Jacoby, CTC
Travel Manager
Business Affairs Office
University of Oregon