payroll: The PayNews Monthly - May 2020 Edition

BAO Payroll Office News payroll at lists.uoregon.edu
Mon May 11 17:31:14 PDT 2020

The PayNews Monthly - May 2020 Edition
Updates

  *   Emergency Paid Sick Leave Updates -
     *   The emergency paid sick leave hours do count towards leave accruals.
     *   The Longevity Premium (Earn Code DLP) should calculate on the emergency paid sick leave hours entered during time entry.  This decision was made after the April payroll had already been completed so the missed Longevity Premium will be added to the May timesheet.  The Payroll Office will handle the calculation and entry of the missing Longevity Premium using earn code DPP.  Payroll staff will reach out to units if any additional information is needed.

  *   FORM I-9 Announcement - COVID-19 Temporary Policy for List B Identity Documents - Because many areas are under stay-at-home orders due to COVID-19 and some online renewal services have restrictions, employees may experience challenges renewing a state driver's license, a state ID card, or other Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, List B identity document. Considering these circumstances, DHS is issuing a temporary policy regarding expired List B identity documents used to complete Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.

Beginning on May 1, identity documents found in List B set to expire on or after March 1, 2020, and not otherwise extended by the issuing authority, may be treated the same as if the employee presented a valid receipt for an acceptable document for Form I-9 purposes.

If your employee provides an acceptable expired List B document that has not been extended by the issuing authority, you should:

        *   Record the document information in Section 2 under List B, as applicable; and,
        *   Write the word COVID-19 in the Additional Information Field.  (Payroll has a Form I-9<https://pages.uoregon.edu/baoforms/bao_drupal_6/sites/ba.uoregon.edu/files/forms/i-9_COVID-19.pdf> available on their website that already has COVID-19 pre-populated in the appropriate field.

Within 90 days after DHS's termination of this temporary policy, the employee will need to present the Payroll Office with a valid unexpired document to replace the expired document presented when they were initially hired.

  *   May Triple - Spreadsheets for employees who should not be tripled are due by Thursday, May 14th, 2020. Please review the information regarding the May Triple Deduction process on the Business Affairs website<https://ba.uoregon.edu/payroll/may-triple-deduction>. The spreadsheets should be emailed to bkane at uoregon.edu<mailto:bkane at uoregon.edu?subject=No%20May%20Triple>. If you would like a list of your employees that will be tripled please contact Ben Kane at bkane at uoregon.edu<mailto:bkane at uoregon.edu> with the Timesheet Orgs that you have access to.

  *   UO Emergency Paid Sick Leave Tracking Form - A Qualtrics form has been created to collect additional information about why employees utilized their emergency paid sick leave hours.  The collection of this data is important because the UO may receive tax credits for offering emergency paid sick leave to its employees and will need this data for the IRS. This form will be emailed to employees the month following the payroll that their EPSL hours were entered.  If an employee uses their EPSL over three pay periods, they will need to complete the form three times.   The form will present the employee with seven different reasons for using their EPSL during the prior pay period. If the employee did not use their EPSL for any of the six reasons defined by the federal government, they can select "None of the above".   Below is the list of reasons that will be presented to the employee when they enter the form.

     *   I am subject to federal, state, or local quarantine or isolation order (including shelter-in-place or stay-at-home orders).
     *   I have been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19 (for example, if the employee has an underlying health condition or is considered part of a vulnerable population).

*  Follow up question: Name of health care professional advising the quarantine.

     *   I am experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and am seeking a medical diagnosis.
     *   I am caring for an individual who is subject to either number 1 or 2 above.

*  Follow up question: Name and relationship to employee.

     *   I am caring for a child whose school or place of care has been closed, or whose childcare provider is unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19.

*  Follow up question: Name and age of child.  Name of school or place of care.

     *   I am experiencing any other substantially similar condition of COVID-19.
     *   None of the above (for example, if you utilized UO emergency paid sick leave unrelated to COVID-19)

If you have questions about any of the reasons listed above, please contact HR Benefits, hrbenefits at uoregon.edu<mailto:hrbenefits at uoregon.edu>.
If you have questions about the form and its functionality, please contact Shelby Cooper, shelbyc at uoregon.edu<mailto:shelbyc at uoregon.edu>.

  *   New Online 403(b) Savings Form - Employees can now complete and submit the 403(b) Savings Form electronically.  The new online form can be accessed through forms.uoregon.edu<https://forms.uoregon.edu/forms/list/Business%20Affairs> in the Employee section.

Reminders

  *   PHAHOUR Entry  - When entering multiple earn codes for an employee, make sure to save after each hours entry to be sure that the record is correctly processed by Banner. If you enter more than one line without saving it can cause labor distribution rounding issues as well as not reducing salaried hours properly.

  *   Labor Distribution EPAFs - When updating a labor distribution via electronic approvals (EPAF), it is important to use the 1st of the month as the effective date.  If you use a date other than the 1st, two timesheets will be generated that month during time entry.  One timesheet will default the labor distribution prior to the change and the second timesheet that will default the new labor distribution.  This can cause confusion and time entry errors.

  *   PERS Annual Statements - The 2019 PERS statements are being mailed this week.  Employees should expect to see them by the end of the month.

Upcoming Events

  *   Payroll Deadlines
     *   May Time Entry Window                                                          May 18 - 21
     *   May Payday                                                                             May 29

  *   HRIS Trainings in MS Teams (More trainings to be added. Check MyTrack<https://hr.uoregon.edu/mytrack-talent-management-system-0> for updates)
     *   HRIS Electronic Approvals (EPAF)                                           May 13, 9:30-11:00am

Thank you,
The Payroll Office