payroll: UO Student Employment Enhancement - Collaboration Opportunity

BAO Payroll Office News payroll at lists.uoregon.edu
Thu Dec 26 08:49:49 PST 2013

Hello from the UO Career Center and the Division of Student Affairs and welcome to 2014! We are collaborating across campus for the enhancement of our student-employment efforts and you were referred to us by a UO colleague as a champion and/or interested partner in our student-employee professional development.

We are excited about a new cycle of our efforts to facilitate and scaffold the personal, academic, and career development of our students. We are also thrilled about new collaboration opportunities our new landscapes and challenges propose and the promising outcomes our enhanced partnerships could offer. Concrete challenges we have learned we are facing include the following:

According to a 2013 Chronicle of Higher Education survey, over half of employers are having difficulty finding qualified candidates in recent college graduates, one third indicating that recent graduates are very unprepared for their job search. This challenge has been emphasized by data from a 2013 Career Builder survey through which we have also learned that 66% of employers can no longer afford hiring the wrong workforce.

More specifically, we have learned through the National Association of Colleges & Employers (i.e., NACE) 2013 Job Outlook Survey that 71% of employers prefer to hire candidates with relevant work experience and through the College Education Research Institute (i.e., CERI) 2011-2012 Job Trends report that 83% of employers will only hire college graduates who have had meaningful professional experience. In addition, to shed light on these critical data, NACE, AACU, Hart Research Associates have identified that the top four professional competencies employers are seeking in college graduates in 2013 are clear communication, critical thinking, the ability to work on teams, and complex problem solving.

If we consider that college career success and graduate professional ROI could benefit from our collaborative facilitation of professional experience and competencies in our students, could we join efforts and collectively design and implement accessible strategies to strengthen our students' experiential learning and professional skill development as part of their college education? We already hire over 5,000 students on campus every year. Could we take advantage of this embedded professional experience we offer UO students and enhance it to ensure that their employment on campus becomes a catalyst of their college ROI?

Based on this, we would like to invite you to our initial conversation about these critical challenges and our subsequent collaboration opportunities. Join us and help us enhance student employment at the U of O to become an integral part of their preparation for their next destination. We will discuss the challenges the current job market poses to our students, the strategies we could implement to address these challenges, and the collective efforts and processes we can implement to help campus enhance student experiential learning and professional development through student employment.

To join us, please take a minute to share your availability in the following poll: http://doodle.com/d3a8amwtxxgshr4s. Please share your multiple availability since we will attempt to schedule more than one meeting to accommodate everyone. Please also share this invitation with staff and/or colleagues you believe should participate in this conversation or who have expressed interest in this topic. On behalf of the Division of Student Affairs and the Career Center, thank you for your interest in our critical collaboration in this regard!

Daniel

Daniel Pascoe Aguilar, PhD, MDiv
Director of the U of O Career Center
220 Hendricks Hall, UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
www.linkedin.com/in/danielpascoeaguilarphd<http://www.linkedin.com/in/danielpascoeaguilarphd>
dpascoe at uoregon.edu<mailto:dpascoe at uoregon.edu> | 541.346.6009
www.career.uoregon.edu<http://www.career.uoregon.edu>
[http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4769849923601603&pid=1.7&w=166&h=155&c=7&rs=1]<http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=university+of+oregon+logo&qpvt=university+of+oregon+logo&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=F0A4F21ED0A9170ACFE6F4B2B90FA6AB3955D395&selectedIndex=373>