payroll: Federal Government Shutdown - Social Security Administration

BAO Payroll Office News payroll at lists.uoregon.edu
Thu Oct 3 13:02:59 PDT 2013

The Social Security Administration is currently only able to provide limited services at their field offices due to the federal government shutdown; this includes the issuing of new and replacement Social Security cards for both foreign national and U.S. citizen/resident employees.  Because of this reduction in services, the Payroll Office is making an exception in processing hire paperwork without the Social Security card or SSN Receipt as support documentation for List C of the Form I-9.  This exception will remain in affect only until the Social Security Administration returns to their normal operations.

Departments should continue to follow the normal procedures and policies to assist employees in completing the hire documents.  Remember to have the employee complete and sign Part B of Form SSA-7028 if it is a first time application for a Social Security number.

As a reminder, the Social Security receipt is only valid for 90 days if used as support documentation for List C of the Form I-9.  Departments and employees are expected to provide a copy of the Social Security card to the Payroll Office when it is received from the Social Security Administration so the employees are in compliance with the USCIS, Form I-9 rule.

Please contact the payroll staff if you have any questions or concerns related to the Social Security card or SSN Receipt as it pertains to the Form I-9.

Kenny Ly
Assistant Payroll Manager
Kly at uoregon.edu<mailto:Kly at uoregon.edu>
541 346-1107