[OLAC-credits] Smushed-together credits

Kelley McGrath kelleym at uoregon.edu
Tue Jan 14 21:07:44 PST 2014

I got a comment today about the following credit saying that it looked like it should be two credits:
producer for McCadden Corp., Al Simon. Production, Herb Browar
Others of you may have noticed this problem. The one above looks to me like cataloger error or some non-standard practice, but this also happens with credits where there's a non-collective title stuck in the middle.
director, Harlan Tarbell. Bambi meets Godzilla / producer-writer-screenplay-choreographer, Marv Newland.
Our program splits credits on "space-semicolon-space." We didn't try to use any other punctuation in an effort to keep things simple and sane. I am not at all sure that it is even possible to teach a computer when a period is used as a mark of ISBD punctuation vs. when it's not (whoever thought the period was a good addition to ISBD was not anticipating the computer era ).

If you see something like this, just make a line for each name-role combination and ignore the extraneous words.

Kelley