di: Distar Arithmetic III

wallace.rondaopal at gmail.com wallace.rondaopal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 14:14:27 PST 2021

Greetings,

During the pandemic I have been homeschooling my 2 grandsons (kindergarten and 2nd grade) in reading and math.  Owen, the 8-year old, has completed Distar Arithmetic II and is in the middle of Corrective Mathematics-Subtraction (he completed the Corrective Addition a while back).  I know it’s probably not appropriate and I should have him in something other than a corrective math program (since he is learning it all for the first time).  However, I have all the material for Corrective mathematics... addition, subtraction, multiplication, divisions and fractions. So we have been limping along using the Corrective Math.   Being unsure where to place him, I ended up purchasing Saxon Math for kinder and second grade.  That turned out to be an expensive mistake!  It  just wasn’t  a good fit for the level the boys are at.

My question: is there a Distar Arithmetic III?  If it even exists, I know it must be ‘as old as the hills’,  but my grandsons  seem to like it and they are making good progress.  If the program doesn’t exist, what do you recommend?  (in Zig’s Distar Arithmetic program, I loved the way fractions. were introduced and would prefer continuing with it, if possible)....  The end of Distar Arithmetic touches on negative numbers, which Owen is fascinated with!

My kindergartner finished Distar Arithmetic I and has recently begun Distar Arithmetic  2. He loves math and we will  probably be ‘set’ for the foreseeable future for math curriculum.  Lawrence is on lesson 42 of Reading Mastery 3 and his ease of reading been wonderfully helpful in his ability to understand and solve  the story problems in Distar Arithmetic.

Regarding reading... Owen (age 8) is almost through with the first book of Reading Mastery Plus level 6.  He is a talented little reader and has gotten pretty competent  at writing essays, using the prompts at the end of each lesson.  We are on track to finish  Reading Mastery VI in 3.5 months.  Do you have any recommendations on where we can go from here?  It’s been so easy to have the Reading Mastery to lean on.  Is there some other program I could use?  I would love to keep teaching them using all the wonderful techniques you've already developed.

Thank you for any advice you might have!

All the best

Ronda Wallace

PS if Distar Arithmetic lll is out there, not being used, I would love to purchase your set and promise to put it to good use!😉

Sent from my iPad