di: Zig quote about using time with desperate efficiency

Kerry Hempenstall kerry.hempenstall at rmit.edu.au
Wed Aug 4 19:04:45 PDT 2021

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Hello Bill,

It doesn't ring a bell with me. It certainly sounds like it's a quote from an interview, or perhaps a DI Conference presentation.

The only quotes on that issue I have are:

“Teaching to mastery is a difficult procedure for teachers to learn. They must learn to reference what to do next according to the students' performance. They must learn high, but realistic, expectations for their students. They must also learn to coordinate mastery with fast pacing so that the lesson is neither a chore for students nor busy-work. The teacher uses efficient means of checking students’ work, of providing additional practice and firm-ups for students who do not achieve mastery on skills that were taught, and of providing reinforcement for trying hard and for succeeding.” (p.6)

Engelmann, S. (1999). Student-program alignment and teaching to mastery. Paper Presented at the 25th National Direct Instruction Conference Eugene, Oregon July, 1999.
“The goal of all instruction would be to teach more in less time and thereby accelerate the performance of the children.” (p.6)

Engelmann, S. (2007). Project Follow Through Begins. In Follow Through. Ch. 2. (I'm unsure of this title, but I know it had 7 chapters)

Regards,

Kerry

Dr Kerry Hempenstall,

Senior Industry Fellow,