di: Why doesn't error limit in Rdg Mastery 1 begin until Lesson 84?

Don Crawford donc1950 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 13:36:07 PDT 2019

I recently saw a Reading Mastery 1 group in the early lessons who were
making a lot of story reading errors. Of course, most of them were not
passing their checkouts.  However, it seemed to me that the fact that they
were making a ton of errors in story reading (two or three per sentence for
most readers) would indicate they should re-do the lesson until they are at
mastery--until they can read the story without a lot of errors.  But when I
went looking for the "Error limit" on the story I discovered it does not
appear until Lesson 84, when they graduate to normal print.
     Anybody know why it was done that way?  Or anybody know a good reason
not to implement a "error limit" of 5 errors starting right away in RM 1?
The error limit for the checkout is 3, so 5 is generous. I just think we
should give the teacher a concrete data point for deciding they are not at
mastery and should do the lesson over.

Don Crawford
(503) 298-8656
14435 SE Donatello Loop