di: Thanks for the article, get a load of this!

Don Crawford donc1950 at gmail.com
Wed May 22 10:14:03 PDT 2019

I appreciate the folks who sent me this article.  It is as I suspected.
Heege is cited as having done research that  "proves" that children need to
learn strategies for figuring out math facts BEFORE they begin to
memorize.  Instead, what he did was observe that children trying to learn
multiplication facts work up strategies to help themselves remember.  Then
he hypothesizes that this wold be the best way to do it.  Because it
accords with the "natural is better" progressive education philosophy, this
is all that is needed to proclaim this is proven fact.  See his conclusion
here:
[image: Heege conclusion.png]
Don Crawford
(503) 298-8656