di: Positive attitudes of kids who have in DI from K to grade 5

Jerry Silbert jsilb24034 at aol.com
Fri Dec 13 18:08:40 PST 2019

Last week, I visited several schools that use DI programs; reading, language , math,ans  spelling in grades K-5.The school implements the programs with great care providing lots of training to teachers, providing adequate time for teaching, providing extra instructional time when needed, administering and inspecting and analyzing mastery tests and intervening quickly when a kid has difficulty , and providing a very warm atmosphere in which teachers use a great deal of praise for behavior and performance.
When observing the older kids, grades 4 and 5, it struck me how the kids are great listeners and have amazingly positive attitudes . The kids seem to approach new learning with enthusiasm, not dread , knowing how to listen and learn from teachers. I thought to myself, and shared with staff that I thought that these kids have been really well prepared for the future, not only in all that they have learned, but in their self concepts, overall positive attitudes about their abilities and learning and their ability to work over extended periods of time.
I was wondering if anyone might now of any psychological tests we might administer to the kids that could measure factors such as self-concept, self-esteem, confidence, persistence and other factors we all want our kids to have, I'd like this to show others how powerful well-implemented DI can be for the overall growth of children.
Thanks
Jerry