di: RPM

Jeff Galfond j.d.galfond at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 13:29:39 PDT 2018

Thanks for sharing.  I'm well aware that research for RPM is lacking.
However, I do think there are a lot of misconceptions.  Much like how
guided practice in DI is extended for several days (far past a typical
lesson structure) and then slowly faded, so too are prompts in RPM.
Students eventually are able to communicate without any prompts.  Prompting
serves primarily to compete with self stimulation urges and to help
initiate actions, not to hint at what to do.

I have used RPM successfully with a few students.  I've seen much more
significant results than I used to using discreet trials.  I learned about
RPM from a friend who was taught through this approach.  His name is Ido
Kedar (http://idoinautismland.com).  He communicates independently without
any prompts.  One of my older students is nonverbal as well.  He writes
poetry almost entirely independently (http://samikadah.weebly.com). Over
the course of four years I have faded all prompts except the prompts "what
do you want to say next" to urge him to continue expressing himself and
gestural prompts to urge him to face his iPad and begin writing.  Based on
my experience, I believe this prompt will be no longer needed within 1 - 2
years.

I did not mean to suggest that RPM is a research validated method.
However, I think given the right teacher it's an approach worth more
serious consideration.  We all know about the bias and unreliability of
most commonly excepted education "research."

Thanks,

Jeff