di: DI and Neuroplasticity?

Kerry Hempenstall kerry.hempenstall at rmit.edu.au
Tue Sep 11 22:39:13 PDT 2018

Hi Jim,

I'd hope you didn't become a believer. DI people speak the language of data
rather than of belief systems. If you read the research summaries, you may
be struck by a certain tenor of scepticism or at least reluctance among
researchers to hop on any brain science bandwagon. There are more than
enough hucksters out there prepared to cash in on anything that sounds
*sciencey.
*Neuromyths abound!

The impression I obtain, from the research I've read to date, is the
glowing endorsement of explicit instruction, of the importance of practice
with corrective feedback, and many other features we know well from DI
programs. These are all tenets we hold dear, and of course they are based
upon data. Whether neuroscience can eventually find some novel practices
that out-perform the best instruction we currently have, is a question for
the future.

--
Regards,

Kerry