di: DI and Neuroplasticity?

Jim Cowardin jimco66 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:19:05 PDT 2018

Bob, I think I responded to you directly instead of to “the List” as well.
I forgot to check to see if the DI List was an addressee. I have added it
this time.

I am certainly not an expert on brain science. I am not an expert on much
of anything. But I think it boils down to the brain scientists’ (BSs for
Short, no pun intended) endeavor to show a causal relationship between
learning activities and brain change-the brain gets larger in “the area
that is receiving instruction.” I realize that this is your “in a nutshell”
description of the phenomenon. But I can’t help but wonder how the BSs know
what part of the brain is “learning.”  It gets larger, so does the new
knowledge act like food to build new brain cells? Maybe I need to read the
original research to find out what I am missing.

One of the things you can try with explanations by cognitivists and BSs,
who are both basing their science on hypothetical constructs is to leave
their explanations out of their descriptions and see if what is left makes
sense or even better sense. So let me rewrite your second paragraph:
...Mezernich has demonstrated in animal research that clear, consistent
repetition without distraction leads to more specialization, speed and
accuracy.  Da, da.

What does it add to the situation that the brain enlarges somewhere?  We
certainly cannot reverse the process and enlarge the brain (What material
would we use?) and experience “more specialization, speed and accuracy” in
some academic response. If you let us enlarge your brain, you will be much
smarter. We could sell that and make Apple and Microsoft afterthoughts in
the race for net worth.

If your going to enlarge brains through teaching, you need to teach well,
and it all comes down to the principles of DI.

Jim