di: Autism and Reading Mastery

Tinamargarita tinamargarita at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 13:46:55 PDT 2018

Hi.

I am a lurker on this list. I have a question regarding Reading Mastery curriculum.

My son who has autism and attends public school is being taught math using Connecting Math Concepts, reading using Reading Mastery, and Language using Language for Learning 1 on 1 with an aide. He is verbal speaking in grammatically correct sentences but is not yet conversational. He started off with Level A off all the books. I have been told by his aide and teacher that he we need to look at pushing his lessons forward as he knows more than Level A. We did a placement test for Math and looks like we will skip level B and progress to Level C.
The Reading is a lot tougher to assess as he has an expressive speech delay. He cannot pull words out of his head that fast so he stops but if you ask him to spell a much harder word than is in the passage he can spell it with no problem. How can we better assess him for Reading? It may be that we just start slowly skipping lessons and see how he does at each increment.

Thanks
Tina

Sent from my iPhone