di: Submission to listserve

Charles Arthur carthur at teleport.com
Tue Nov 28 14:39:52 PST 2017

To: nifdi listserve members

From:  Charles Arthur, Portland OR

I’d like to call your attention to a website that has been developed by the Arthur Academy Charter Schools, a group of six small schools in the Portland, OR area that implements a complete DI curriculum  to over a 1000 children everyday.

 The website, arthurreadingworkshop.com,  has resources in two sections that may be of interest to listerve members.

 Section 1. has resources from a series of workshops developed and conducted by a group of Arthur Academy teachers and principles on the Science of Teaching Beginning Reading a few years ago.  It was part of a funded charter school dissemination project in which our teaching is presented in general terms. It was well attended by teachers in the Portland area school districts.  The materials used remain in the website.

 Section 2. has resources from an informal seminar on the related subject, The Science of Reading Words and Dyslexia that I’ve personally have conducted over the last few years. This was an outgrowth of the above workshop on teaching. It’s my attempt to explain, from my studies, some of the theoretical background of learning to read.  It seeks to provide a deeper understanding, with some neurological references, for teachers on why explicit/systematic teaching of reading is so needed and effective. It recently was added to the State of Oregon list of approved Dyslexia-Related Training Opportunities.

 I hope that those on this listserve may find some aspects of this website interesting and useful.  Please take a look, let me know what you think and pass it on.

Feedback, comments, questions, criticism and arguments are welcome. Maybe we can have some interesting discussions.

Charles Arthur,

Retired Founder,

Arthur Academy Charter Schools

arthuracademy.org

Portland, OR

carthur at teleport.com <mailto:carthur at teleport.com>
arthurreadingworkshop.com

Charles Arthur
Early Child Literacy Consultant
carthur at teleport.com
The most effect reading programs  carefully structure instruction around mastery of small learning increments that leads to student proficiency of advanced applications and higher student self-esteem.  K. Engelmann
971-544-7341