[Cas-allemps] CAS Interdisciplinary Research Talk: Monday, March 2

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Mon Feb 10 13:43:16 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,

It seems that some recipients were not able to see the image containing talk information in our original email earlier this morning, so I am trying with plain text in the email below.

I am delighted to invite you to the next in the CAS Interdisciplinary Research Talks series:

[cid:image001.png at 01D5E017.DBB77280]
Race and Choice in the Era of Liberal Eugenics
Camisha Russell, Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Monday, March 2, 3:30 - 5, Knight Library Browsing Room

During last year's discussions about a potential reorganization of the College of Arts and Sciences (in the CAS Task Force), we heard from faculty members across all CAS divisions who expressed the desire for more opportunities for interdisciplinary dialogue and potential collaborations. They wanted support for interdisciplinary teaching and research and also said they'd simply like informal opportunities to get to know faculty in other disciplines.

In response, among other things, CAS is organizing a series of monthly Interdisciplinary Research Talks (CAS IR Talks) for the current academic year. The CAS IR talks are 35-40 minutes in length, followed by a Q&A. Light refreshments will be served.

Camisha Russell joined the Department of Philosophy in 2017. She is currently Co-Editor of Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy. Her primary research and teaching interests are in Critical Philosophy of Race, Feminist Philosophy, and Bioethics. The Assisted Reproduction of Race is her first book. Other recent publications include "Rights-holders or refugees? Do gay men need reproductive justice" in Reproductive Biomedicine & Society Online (2018) and "Eugenics" in The Routledge Companion to the Philosophy of Race (2017).

Talk abstract: What role does race play in assisted reproduction in a reproductive era of what we might call liberal eugenics? In this talk, I argue that this question can be addressed in terms of what Foucault called technologies of the self. By considering some examples of how identity features, including race, are used by people and couples in sperm donor selection, I show how these decisions (and their privatization) serve political (and indeed depoliticizing) purposes. Moreover, I suggest that pressure for racial matching in assisted reproduction serves not only to renaturalize notions of race, but to defend the new liberal eugenics by denying any racialized agenda.
I hope you will come out to hear Camisha and enjoy the discussion on March 2nd at 3:30. Please support our CAS IR Talks and help us ignite interdisciplinary conversations.

Best regards,

Bruce

Bruce Blonigen
Tykeson Dean