[Cas-allemps] Thinking About CAS: Experiential Learning Inventory

CAS Dean casdean at uoregon.edu
Mon Jan 27 11:22:06 PST 2020

Dear CAS colleagues,

Welcome back for winter term! One of our top priorities for the rest of the year will be to build on the successful opening of Tykeson Hall through our continued efforts to deepen and finesse our academic/career advising offerings for undergraduates and also by expanding the "experiential learning" opportunities we offer them. By this we mean practical experiences (internships, volunteer assignments, field work, lab research, etc.) that enhance our students' portfolios of career-ready skills and prepare them to enter the workforce after graduation.

We have sent out a link to a Qualtrics survey to all CAS department heads and unit managers, asking you to inform us about the experiential learning opportunities in your department. In our Thinking About CAS blog, we give you the backstory<https://cas.uoregon.edu/2020/01/experiential-learning-inventory/> on the why and how of that survey and the efforts of our Dean's Fellow, associate professor of anthropology Lamia Karim, to assist the Dean's Office in developing a full inventory of your efforts. The survey, and Lamia's follow-up with selected departments, will help us identify where additional experiential learning opportunities might be developed, and where departments might be able to learn from each other and share information.

All the best for 2020!

Bruce

Bruce Blonigen
Tykeson Dean