Banner 9 Large Query Performance

Business Affairs Office News bao-news at lists.uoregon.edu
Tue Feb 5 14:11:29 PST 2019

Finance users,

We have found that extremely large queries in FWIBUDG (all university funds and accounts) that completed in Banner 8, will not complete in Banner 9.
Unfortunately the query appears to be running and the user  is repeatedly prompted to extend their session before the countdown ends and it expires.

Information Services advised that,

"Banner 9 does not allow queries to run against the production database for longer than 5 minutes. That design decision was made to ensure that the transactional system is protected from oversized queries. Very large queries should either be done in IDR, or if they have to run in Banner they should be broken up into smaller queries."

We are not sure if this design decision in Banner 9 will impact users significantly, or if it will vary with system load.

If you run a query in any Banner 9 page that takes longer than 5 minutes and fails to complete, please request help at service.uoregon.edu and describe,

1.       Date and time

2.       Banner page

3.       Criteria entered