Disposal of Equipment Acquired through Sponsored Funds

Business Affairs Office News bao-news at lists.uoregon.edu
Tue Jun 3 09:16:51 PDT 2014

Good morning,

The Business Affairs Office (BAO) Property Control Department would like to remind campus departments of our responsibilities when disposing of equipment purchased with sponsored funds.  As a research university, we are responsible for serving as stewards of funds provided by sponsors.  This responsibility extends to equipment purchased by those funds.

Equipment includes:

*         Capitalized equipment (generally $5,000 or greater and has a useful life of greater than one year)

*         High-risk and other minor equipment (generally less than $5,000 or has a useful life of less than one year)

*         Vehicles

*         Vessels

Disposal includes, but is not limited to:

*         Surplus

*         E-Waste

*         Cannibalization

*         Transfers

*         Trade-ins

Generally, equipment purchased with sponsored funds is owned by the sponsor.  The equipment must be returned to the sponsor or disposed of in accordance with sponsor policies or the contract's terms and conditions.  To ensure compliance with this policy:

*         Sponsored Project Services approval must be obtained prior to disposal

*         All disposals must be coordinated through the Property Control Coordinator

If you have any questions, please contact the BAO Property Control Department or visit the website at http://ba.uoregon.edu/content/surplus-property.

Thank you,

BAO Property Control Department

Molly Lockhart