[Andalusi Studies] Sacred writings and their visual inimitability conference: SOAS University of London 7-8 December

Hany Rashwan hrashwan7 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 02:00:12 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues and friends,
I am thrilled to invite you to a conference that promises to unveil the
captivating relationship between sacred languages and the visual splendour
of their scripts. Co-organized by myself, Rachel Harrison (SOAS), and
Florian Zemmin (Freie Universität Berlin), this exceptional event will take
place *at SOAS in London on 7-8 December 2023.*
Our conference aims to shed light on an often overlooked aspect of sacred
languages—their remarkable visual
inimitability. By exploring the intricate interplay between sacred writing
and its visual representation, we will unlock a world of profound meaning
and aesthetic beauty. Join us as we delve into this captivating topic,
bringing together scholars from diverse disciplines and perspectives.
We are pleased to announce that *the deadline for submitting abstracts is
31 August 2023.* This is your chance to contribute to a vibrant academic
dialogue and share your insights with fellow researchers. For a
comprehensive overview of the conference rationale and the wide range of
topics we will explore, we invite you to read the full version of our Call
for Papers (CFP) at the following link:

https://agya.info/publications/calls/conceptualizing-sacred-languages-and-their-visual-inimitability?fbclid=IwAR3jPKvlGah24H1lRqIBqEIMCDgr0PDyI4-iKOUwLLfh4nmV9aubU3E_Hfk
<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fagya.info%2Fpublications%2Fcalls%2Fconceptualizing-sacred-languages-and-their-visual-inimitability%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3jPKvlGah24H1lRqIBqEIMCDgr0PDyI4-iKOUwLLfh4nmV9aubU3E_Hfk&data=05%7C01%7Chrashwan%40uaeu.ac.ae%7C1316be48f6954cca520808db8ab0473d%7C97a92b044c8743419b08d8051ef8dce2%7C0%7C0%7C638256262241336167%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=esh9x5jCbW%2FSAwuhQow3M%2F4zkRqf0%2FBcBWaycbQL%2Bc8%3D&reserved=0>
The conference will cover the travel and accommodation expenses for
accepted abstracts. Furthermore, the conference proceedings will undergo
rigorous review and be published by an excellent publisher, ensuring that
your contributions reach a wider audience and leave a lasting impact.
Please share this enticing CFP with your network of scholars, encouraging
them to participate in this extraordinary event.
Together, let us embark on a journey of intellectual exploration and
discovery, unravelling the captivating world where sacred languages and
visual magnificence converge.
We look forward to welcoming you to this enlightening conference.

Best wishes for a productive summer vacation
Hany

--

Best wishes,

Dr Hany Rashwan

Assistant Professor of Arabic Language and Literature

United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)

Honorary Research Fellow

School of Languages, Cultures, Art History and Music

University of Birmingham (UoB)

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/HanyRashwan

https://bham.academia.edu/HanyRashwan

PhD in  Cultural, Literary and Postcolonial Studies (CCLPS)

Languages & Cultures Faculty

School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)
University of London
SOAS, University of London, is a world-leading higher education institution
specializing in the study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. It has a
unique focus combining both disciplinary and regional expertise with
language scholarship. Founded in 1916, with its first students enrolled in
1917, the School celebrated its Centenary in 2016-17.