[Andalusi Studies] Full program with abstracts: Conceptualizing Sacred Languages and Their Visual Inimitability - SOAS University of London

Hany Rashwan hrashwan7 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 07:31:02 PST 2023

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

I hope this email finds you in good health and spirits.

I am thrilled to unveil the final program for our upcoming conference,
featuring an outstanding line-up of papers and five distinguished keynote
speakers:

*"Arabic of the Jews”: On the Early Interpretation of Judeo-Arabic
Phenomena Among Scholars of the Wissenschaft des Judentums

María Ángeles Gallego: The Spanish Council for Scientific Research (CSIC),
Madrid, Spain.

*Touching Sacred Music: Song, Silence, and Embodied Performance in Medieval
Art

Francisco Prado-Vilar: University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain.

*The Qur’an and Kitab Malay: Preserving the Sacred Form in Transmitting the
Message

Peter G. Riddell: SOAS University of London, UK & Australian College of
Theology, Sydney, Australia.

*Takhmīs as Verbal Reliquary: Visual Performance in al-Fayyūmī’s Takhmīs
Burdat al-Būṣīrī, Walters Art Gallery ms W581

Suzanne Pinckney Stetkevych: Georgetown University, Washington D.C., USA.

*Placing Sacred Languages: From the Locative to the Utopian

Brian P. Bennett: Niagara University, New York, USA.

Access the entire program, complete with abstracts and speaker biographies,
through the following links:

SOAS Conference Page

https://www.soas.ac.uk/about/event/conceptualising-sacred-languages-and-their-visual-inimitability

AGYA Conference Page

https://agya.info/agya-life/upcoming-events/conference-conceptualising-sacred-languages-and-their-visual-inimitability?fbclid=IwAR0OQywNM9vF4TUYpAsVMwTz9X4qVpk321V9sz6ytn3bqGTe6cld9U14a0M

Save the Date: December 7-8, 2023 at the Doctoral School of SOAS.

We are eagerly looking forward to welcoming you at SOAS on December 7-8 if
you are around and interested in attending. The conference is open to the
public.  The conference is co-organized by Rachel Harrison (SOAS University
of London), Hany Rashwan (UAE University), and Florian Zimmin (Freie
Universität Berlin).

All very best wishes for a good end to this hard year

Hany Rashwan