[Andalusi Studies] Wed. March 17, 12pm NYC (Zoom) – CU Seminar on Religion & Writing (#751): Manuscripts of the Islamic West and the Andalusi Identity

Dagmar Riedel islamicbookcensus at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 11:24:49 PST 2021

Dear colleagues,

Umberto Bongianino's seminar about Maghrebi calligraphy and Andalusi
identity may be of interest to some listmembers.

SIncerely,
Dagmar Riedel

Dear colleagues,

The next meeting of the Columbia University Seminar on Religion and Writing
(#751) will be held on Wednesday, March 17 at 12 pm (noon EST).  We are
honored to have Dr. Umberto Bongianino (University of Oxford) discuss his
research on "The Manuscript Tradition of the Islamic West: Maghribī Round
Scripts and the Andalusī Identity."

The title and abstract follow below; they are also available on our website:
 *https://researchblogs.cul.columbia.edu/islamicbooks/religionwriting/
<https://researchblogs.cul.columbia.edu/islamicbooks/religionwriting/>*.

If you would like to attend Dr. Bongianino’s talk, please RSVP to
abw2163 at columbia.edu by Wednesday, March 10th.

Columbia University encourages persons with disabilities to participate in
its programs and activities. University Seminar participants with
disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations may contact the Office
of Disability Services at 212.854.2388 or *disability at columbia.edu
<disability at columbia.edu>*. Disability accommodations, including
sign-language interpreters, are available on request. Requests for
accommodations must be made two weeks in advance.

We look forward to seeing you online on Wednesday, March 17th.

Stay safe and healthy,

Elizabeth Powers and Dagmar Riedel, co-chairs
Anya Wilkening, rapporteur

------

The Manuscript Tradition of the Islamic West: Maghribī Round Scripts and
the Andalusī Identity

This seminar will explore the distinctive writing practices and bookhands
of Iberia and North Africa between the tenth and the twelfth centuries,
shedding some new light on a rich calligraphic tradition that was crucial
for the creation of the Andalusī identity and its spread throughout the
medieval Mediterranean.