[Andalusi Studies] Oct. 29, 12 pm (noon) -- Seminar on Religion & Writing (#751): Adday Hernández López

Dagmar Riedel islamicbookcensus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 11:38:59 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues, the seminar below may be of interest to some.

Best wishes, Dagmar Riedel

----

Dear colleagues,

The next ZOOM meeting of the Columbia University Seminar on Religion and
Writing will be held via Zoom on *Thursday, October 29th at 12pm* (EST).
Our guest will be Adday Hernández López, from the Consejo Superior de
Investigaciones Científicas in Madrid.

Dr. Hernández López’s talk, “A Late Manuscript, an Old Debate: A Juridical
Question of Abū Isḥāq al-Shāṭibī (d. 1388) about Economy, Society and
Political Authority in the Premodern Islamic West,” will discuss the
origins, development, and implications of *istighrāq al-dhimma* (Ar. ,
literally “total negation of the legal personality”), an Islamic principle
of jurisprudence. More information may be found on our Seminar Blog
<https://researchblogs.cul.columbia.edu/islamicbooks/religionwriting/>.

If you are interested in attending, please RSVP to
abw2163 at columbia.edu by *Thursday,
October 24th. *

Columbia University encourages persons with disabilities to participate in
its programs and activities. University Seminar participants with
disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations may contact the Office
of Disability Services at 212.854.2388 or disability at columbia.edu.
Disability accommodations, including sign-language interpreters, are
available on request. Requests for accommodations must be made two weeks in
advance.

We are obviously sad not to conclude this announcement with an invitation
to join us for dinner with Dr. Hernández López at the Faculty House after
her talk.  There will be plenty of time, however, for lively discussion!

We look forward to seeing you on October 29th.

Stay safe and healthy,

Elizabeth Powers and Dagmar Riedel, co-chairs
Anya Wilkening, rapporteur