[Andalusi Studies] Vox and Islamic Iberian past

Alejandro Garcia Sanjuan sanjuan at dhis2.uhu.es
Sat Aug 15 04:49:47 PDT 2020

Following up a little bit on the debate yesterday and assuming the risk of irritating or annoying some colleagues, I'd like to share a bit more information regarding Vox approach to Iberian Islamic past and other historical issues:

'On January 2, 1492, the Reconquista was finished with the #TomaDeGranada, defeating the last Islamist stronghold on our soil. Many centuries later our pride for a seven centuries-long feat remains. And so does our determination not to be subjected to Islam'.
https://twitter.com/Santi_ABASCAL/status/948164179080466432

Using violent events of the past to stoking nationalist feelings is in line with democratic values and ethical behavior?

'Spain has an advantage: that it was vaccinated against Islamic immigration over eight centuries of occupation and eight centuries of reconquista'
https://twitter.com/voxnoticias_es/status/1175872993299447814

Is the idea of Spain as a country 'vaccinated against Muslim inmigration' democratic and ethical? Is using the past to stoke anti-immigration feelings democratic and ethical?

'The #BlackLivesMatter street terrorists aren't just violent. They're likewise illiterate.
Thanks to Christopher Columbus and the Catholic Monarchs, millions of people were freed from slavery, barbarism, and cannibalism in America'.
https://twitter.com/vox_es/status/1270702163333918721

Is branding the BLM-movement 'terrorist' democratic and ethical? Is branding Columbus and the Catholic Monarchs 'liberators' democratic and ethical?

Are Vox values democratic and ethical? Are Vox views about the past in line with democratic values and ethical behavior? Do Vox academics teach Vox values and Vox approach to the past in their lectures? Do Vox academics teach Islamic history to students according to Vox values and Vox approach to Islamic Iberian past? And, if so, would that be in line with the 'democratic values' and the 'ethical behavior' that we as academics should stand for?

And again, sharing this information and making these questions go against democratic values and ethical behavior?

To end up with this way too long email, do those academics strongly committed to the right of Vox scholars not to be branded as Vox scholars have an answer to all of these questions?
---
Alejandro García-Sanjuán
Facultad de Humanidades
Universidad de Huelva (Spain)