[Andalusi Studies] CFP: From Timbuktu to Kalamazoo (K'zoo 2019) (REMINDER!)

Hutcheson,Gregory gregory.hutcheson at louisville.edu
Sun Aug 26 10:20:29 PDT 2018

Call for Papers

International Congress on Medieval Studies, May 9-12, 2019

>From Timbuktu to Kalamazoo

The Association of Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies and the University of Louisville Medieval and Renaissance Faculty Working Group are collaborating to sponsor two sessions of papers to consider the role of Africa in the medieval world. Please see below for information on one session on African and Iberian Intersections and a second session on Africa and the Medieval Mediterranean.

>From Timbuktu to Kalamazoo I: African and Iberian Intersections

Sponsor: Association of Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies

 Given their geographic proximity, it was inevitable that Iberia would look toward Africa and Africa toward Iberia throughout the medieval period. Drawing from history, literature, and cultural studies, this panel examines Iberian-African relations as a crossroads, where contact between the two was defined not by continental boundaries, but rather by the back and forth of nearly a thousand years of empire building that gave rise not only to intercultural conflict, but also to economic, intellectual, and cultural exchange. In conjunction with “From Timbuktu to Kalamazoo II: Africa and the Medieval Mediterranean” (sponsored by the University of Louisville’s Medieval-Renaissance Faculty Workshop), this session seeks to foster a larger discussion about Africa’s place in medieval Iberia, and highlight Africa’s voice and vantage point in the discipline. Please send a one-page abstract and the Participant Information form (available at https://wmich.edu/medievalcongress/submissions<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wmich.edu_medievalcongress_submissions&d=AwMGaQ&c=SgMrq23dbjbGX6e0ZsSHgEZX6A4IAf1SO3AJ2bNrHlk&r=dC4YTkodjCo47yk1AxJ0CxjZ8CpiL08r7r0a8PQrPKs&m=gKBrUXK6odM9Dq5iqVC_rmx8_9zXS_mdNlO80XPco-s&s=OsqDp6hw7mrW0vl_P00Cyi20Uw_VVkIsMnUHgCbQZC8&e=>) to Jessica Boon (jboon at email.unc.edu)<mailto:jboon at email.unc.edu)> by theSeptember 15 deadline.

>From Timbuktu to Kalamazoo II: Africa and the Medieval Mediterranean

Sponsor: University of Louisville Medieval and Renaissance Faculty Working Group

Studies of the medieval Mediterranean have often focused on its northern and eastern shores, but the trade routes that connected Iberia, France, Italy, and Byzantium were also intertwined with Egypt, the Maghreb, and the Sahara. This panel highlights the ways that peoples, ideas, and objects circulated across different regions of medieval Africa, and between Africa and other areas of the Mediterranean. Rejecting older models of African history as static or passive, it demonstrates the importance of studying medieval Africa both on its own terms and in the larger context of Mediterranean history. In conjunction with “From Timbuktu to Kalamazoo I: African and Iberian Intersections” (sponsored by the Association for Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies), this session seeks to foster a larger discussion about Africa’s place in the medieval world, and highlight Africa’s voice and vantage point in the discipline. Please submit a one-page abstract and the Participant Information Form (available at https://wmich.edu/medievalcongress/submissions<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wmich.edu_medievalcongress_submissions&d=AwMGaQ&c=SgMrq23dbjbGX6e0ZsSHgEZX6A4IAf1SO3AJ2bNrHlk&r=dC4YTkodjCo47yk1AxJ0CxjZ8CpiL08r7r0a8PQrPKs&m=gKBrUXK6odM9Dq5iqVC_rmx8_9zXS_mdNlO80XPco-s&s=OsqDp6hw7mrW0vl_P00Cyi20Uw_VVkIsMnUHgCbQZC8&e=>) to Andrew Rabin (andrew.rabin at louisville.edu<mailto:andrew.rabin at louisville.edu>) by the September 15th deadline.