[Andalusi Studies] Andalusi_Studies Digest, Vol 11, wabr

Liran Yadgar yadgar at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 25 01:18:49 PDT 2015

Yes, indeed "khirniq" is one term used for a young hare. See al-Jahiz, al-Kitab al-awwal: al-Hayawan, 'Abd al-Salam Muhammad Harun, ed. (Cairo, 1965-1969; sec. ed.), 6:349; F. Viré, "Arnab", EI2, vol. XII (Supplement), pp. 84-87 (at 84).

http://library.ut.ac.ir/documents/381543/3581025/Brill_-_The_Encyclopaedia_of_Islam_Vol_12_Supplement_.pdf

Perhaps we should continue the discussion on hares and rabbits off-list?

All best,

Liran
___________
Liran Yadgar
Ph.D. Candidate
Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
The University of Chicago
yadgar at uchicago.edu<mailto:yadgar at uchicago.edu>
Academia.edu website: http://chicago.academia.edu/LiranYadgar

Dear Liran
I really appreciate very much all your incredible help!
Sorry for the delay in answering, I was trying to process all the sources you kindly presented, but I have to acknowledge that I do not have most of the sources, I live in Mexico and I am afraid that most of them are unavailable here.
Nevertheless I found al-Jahiz source, although I am not sure if it is exactly what you suggested but it is very interesting.
It says briefly:
"That the waber relish interbreeding with the female rabbit, and if he succeeded, the newly born animal is called "Khirnik".

Is this the source you suggested?
Sorry for bothering so much.
Best regards.
Isaac