[Andalusi Studies] How do you say "rabbit" in Andalusi Arabic?

Isaac Betech isaacb at tovnet.com
Tue Mar 24 23:32:35 PDT 2015

Dear Robert
Sorry for the delay in answering.
I appreciate very much your source from the Glossarium Latino-Arabicum and the link to it.
Also many thanks to Dr. Corriente for his very interesting comment.
The cuniculus entry from Glossarium Latino-Arabicum has been very helpful and indeed confirmed the translation of “cuniculus” as “kunalya”, nevertheless I am trying to understand the footnote there, reading “safan” which sounds very similar to the Hebrew word “shafan” meaning rabbit.
Do you know who wrote this footnote? Is it part of the original Glossarium Latino-Arabicum or it was added later by someone else?
Is there any evidence that “safan” was an Arabic word meaning rabbit as in Hebrew?
Sorry to bother again but I could don find the answers to my questions.
Best regard and thank you very much!
Isaac