[Andalusi Studies] Andalusi_Studies Digest, Vol 9, Issue 1‏

Liran Yadgar yadgar at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 7 23:07:13 PST 2015

Dear Elizabeth,

Arabic studies on the battle at al-Qasr al-Kabir are most likely to provide references to Maghribi sources:
Ibrahim Shihatah Hasan. Waq'at Wadi al-Makhazin fi tarikh al-Maghrib, 986 H., 1578 M. al-Dar al-Bayda (Casablanca), 1979.

'Abd al-Karīm Kurayyim. al-Maghrib fi 'ahd al-dawlah al-Sa'diyah. al-Dar al-Bayda (Casablanca), 1978, sec. ed.

'Allal al-Fasi. Ma'rakat Wadi al-Makhazin fi dhikraha al-arba'mi'ah. Rabat, 1978.

Shawqi Abu Khalil. Wadi al-Makhazin: Ma'rakat al-muluk al-thalathah, al-Qasr al-Kabir. Damascus, 1988. Available online:
http://www.creativity.ps/library/datanew/cre5/430.pdf

'Abbas Jarari. Ma'rakat Wadi al-Makhazin fi al-adab al-Maghribi. Morocco: 1988, sec. ed.
For the Jewish commemoration of the 1578 battle, see the chronicle of Samuel b. Sa'adya ibn Danan, trans. in Georges Vajda, Un recueil de textes historiques judéo-marocains (= Hespéris, 12; Paris, 1951), pp. 15-17; Elliott S. Horowitz, Reckless Rites: Purim and the Legacy of Jewish Violence (Princeton, 2006), pp. 305-306, and the sources in n. 86.

Best wishes,

Liran
Liran Yadgar
Ph.D. Candidate
Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
The University of Chicago
yadgar at uchicago.edu<mailto:yadgar at uchicago.edu>
Academia.edu website: http://chicago.academia.edu/LiranYadgar