[Andalusi Studies] Maghribi historiography help

Davila, Carl cdavila at brockport.edu
Wed Jan 7 18:08:42 PST 2015

Hello Liz,

Have you looked at The Maghrib in Question: Essays in History and Historiography, edited by Michel Le Gall and Kenneth Perkins? There is an interesting article by Mounir Chapoutot-Remadi, "Thirty Years of Research on the History of the Medieval Maghrib" which has quite a few references that may be of use to you.

Fernando Mediano's article, "L'élite savant andalouse à Fes" in Zwartjes, van Gelder and de Moor eds. Poetry, Politics and Polemics (Brill) and La vie intellectuelle marocaine sous les Mérinites et les Waṭṭāsides by Mohamed B.A. Benchekroun (Impremerie Mohamed V, Rabat 1974), together might give you some insights into the general intellectual milieu of the time.

Happy hunting!

Dr. Carl Davila
Associate Professor of History
The College at Brockport, S.U.N.Y.
350 New Campus Drive
Brockport, NY  14420
O: +1 585 395-5699
F: +1 585 395 2620

"If scissors are not used daily on the beard,
it will not be long before the beard is, by its
luxuriant growth, pretending to be the head."

- Hakim Jami' (d. 1492)